A self-guided tour of historic Chestnut Hill’s Germantown Avenue, with audio tour options, by the Chestnut Hill Historical Society can be found here.

From as early as 1687 when it opened as “King’s Road,” Germantown Avenue has been the social and commercial core of the village of Chestnut Hill, which was first so-described in 1711 in recorded land transfers. The evolution of rail service, starting with the Philadelphia Germantown and Norristown Railroad in 1854, attracted city dwellers to the village as a summer retreat. This tour illustrates how the very stones quarried distinguish the history of our community as well as the legacy of tavern and shop keepers— and their customers. Most of Chestnut Hill is included in the Chestnut Hill National Historic District, listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1985.This designation recognizes the historic significance of the neighborhood and its architectural heritage.