If you are an artist looking to participate in Second Saturdays in the future, find the attached application here
Email any questions or concerns to Baristy@chestnuthillpa.com
The arts come alive at Chestnut Hill’s newest event series—Second Saturdays! In the safe and walkable environment of the Germantown Avenue commercial district, visitors can explore the works of dozens of visiting regional artists—from highly sought-after professionals to emerging talents—and view the newest exhibitions at Chestnut Hill’s own art galleries. With live music, shop and restaurant specials, and family-friendly activities, Second Saturdays give serious art enthusiasts and casual spectators alike plenty of reasons to spend a day in Chestnut Hill.
Dates: October 9, 2021; November 13, 2021
Time: 2:00pm to 6:00pm
Location: 7600 to 8600 blocks of Germantown Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19118
Chestnut Hill Business Association Member Art Galleries, Framing, and Art Supplies:
- Borrelli’s Chestnut Hill Gallery & Frame Shop:
- “Signs of Life” – New Paintings from Philadelphia legend and PAFA superstar, impressionist Phil Cohn, 97 years young and still painting! Visit Borrelli’s on Saturdays 11 – 4 to take a good look at these slice of life gems. Or call for a private appointment during the week.
- Gallery On The Avenue
- 10% off in store
- Line Gallery
- Artist & Craftsman Supply
- The Little Gallery
- 10% off in store
- Wendy Concannon Photography Gallery
Robin Tedesco – Philadelphia Painter“Passagio”
August 13-September 19, 2021 Robin Tedesco – Philadelphia Painter will present his work “Passagio”
“When painting, I work like an archeologist – excavating, scratching, uncovering, restoring. Forms and figuration appear and disappear as layers reveal and transform the hidden light.
My love of Italian Renaissance and Baroque painting blossomed when living in Rome and I was privileged to be surrounded by these revolutionary works. Their influence along with my study of the fresco process aligned with the way my paintings evolve. The oil and wood panels offer continual inspiration as they did for those artists in the 15th Century. Printmaking and drawing through oil-transfer, collaged materials, old photos, bits of discarded works on paper, and rubbings materialize and are hidden and waiting to be discovered.
Wherever I am, my acute visual sensibility is ready to absorb the current image; the color of a bird, the decay in ancient architecture, the subtlety of a shadow. I am grateful that my work as an artist heals me in rough times and is always therapeutic, offering continual inspiration and challenges.”
- Tasco Art Salon
- 10% off masks
- Outside make & take craft for first 10 kids from 2-3:30pm
- Woodmere Art Museum: Will host a Summer Jazz concert series featuring the Music of B.B King and Muddy Waters. They put the BLUE in blues and were not afraid to keep the stories of life real and raw in their music. BB was known as the “King” and Muddy was known as the “Father” of the Blues. Songs that will forever be an integral part of America’s songbook, such as BB’s “The Thrill Is Gone” and Muddy’s “Mannish Boy,” will take us to those “Down Home Blues”! Reflecting the international reach of the Blues, souna master from China, Yazhi Guo, joins vocalist Lisa Chavous and guitarist and vocalist Rich Tucker as special guests. Buy your ticket here!
Guest Artists |
Guest Artists exhibiting works for sale on the Avenue include:
- Jean Broden
- Nate Hirshbock
- Rebecca Jane Hoenig
- Amy Masterman
- Joanne Cannon
- Lynn Seeney
- Eve Hoyt
- Robert Moore
- Tom Conway
- Ben Brown
- Amy Masterman
- Rachel Logan
- Venessa Jay
- Erika Richards
- Ferule Designs Pop-up Art Installation (8532 Germantown Avenue) | Chestnut Hill artist Brooke Conroy’s work aims to enhance it’s viewers experience through creativity and quality craft. She creates all elements of her designs by hand, utilizing a wide range of mediums, and has previously created installations for Urban Outfitters and Terrain. The new nature-inspired Ferule installation is at the corner of Germantown and Evergreen
- Children’s Art classes in the back of installation
- Art & Craft Group Show curated by Moondance Farm Studios (www.MoondanceFarmStudios.com) featuring:
- Art & Craft Group Show curated by Erika Richards
- Mini Museum (8225 Germantown Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19118) Come see the newest MINI Museum exhibit at 8225 Germantown Ave and join the Education Department in creating miniature artworks that will be added to the museums permanent collection. Artists of all ages and backgrounds are welcome! For more info visit www.minimuseumphilly.com
- Xfinity Experience (150 E. Evergreen Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19118) | Xfinity’s Internet service brings your entire experience together by connecting other services like Xfinity X1, Xfinity Home, Xfinity Mobile, and more! Get ready to do even more on your devices than ever before and enjoy reliably fast speeds for all your streaming needs and to power all your devices. Visit the Xfinity Experience to learn how Xfinity products and services can make life easier, at home or on the go.
Kids & Family Activities
- AR Workshop (8607 Germantown Avenue) is excited to offer a hands-on outdoor DIY Workshop experience, where you can create wood signs, canvas pillows, wall hangings, framed signs, wood boxes, lazy Susan’s and more!
Entertainment Live music on the Avenue |
Casual Fantastic (solo show) Germantown and HartwellPhilly’s Casual Fantastic mixes up a musical brew of original rock n roll, parlor pop, and country noir—along with a variety of cover songs. This special solo performance features Casual Fantastic’s songwriter Josh McIlvain playing songs from their debut album High Voltage Fever Dream, along with selections from their upcoming Fringe show Casual Fantastic: Good Things. Listen to the new album on Spotify at https://open.spotify.com/
- Two Johns 8623 Germantown Avenue John Carleton, (aka Johnny Never), John Colgan Davis have a mission to deliver
pure, unadulterated vintage blues to those who already love the blues as well as those who have never heard it. Whether solo or with accompaniment, Johnny has energized audiences in Northern Maryland, Southeastern Pennsylvania and New Jersey from small bars and restaurants to music halls such as the MAC Concert Series, The Mainstay, the Kennett Flash and Jamie’s House of Music. He has performed in dozens of Music Festivals.
- Play it Forward 8235 Germantown Avenue, PLAY IT FORWARD is a dynamic music group created by Dave Cohen and Anne-Marie Forde. They perform an eclectic set list of rock, pop, folk, Celtic, blues and much more from the ‘60s through today. We are a charismatic group that takes its cues from the crowd. Play it Forward engages the audience and holds their interest.
More CHBA Member Events & Specials:
Food & Drink | Bring your appetite and sample Chestnut Hill’s delicious dining scene! Options include:
- Bahia Bowls | Indoor Dining, Outdoor Dining, and Take-out Available
- Baker Street Bread | Indoor Dining, Outdoor Dining, and Take-out Available
- Breakfast Boutique | Indoor Dining, Outdoor Dining, and Take-out Available
- Bredenbeck’s Bakery & Ice Cream Parlor | Take-out
- Cake | Indoor Dining and Take-out Available
- Campbell’s Place | Indoor Dining, Outdoor Dining, and Take-out Available
- Chestnut Grill & Sidewalk Cafe | Indoor Dining, Outdoor Dining, and Take-out Available
- Chestnut Hill Brewing Company | Indoor Dining, Outdoor Dining, and Take-out Available
- Chill On The Hill Frozen Yogurt | Indoor Dining and Take-out Available
- Cin Cin | Indoor Dining and Take-out Available
- Cosimo’s Pizza Cafe | Indoor Dining and Take-out Available
- El Poquito | Indoor Dining, Outdoor Dining, and Take-out Available
- Iron Hill Brewery | Indoor Dining, Outdoor Dining, and Take-out Available
- King’s Garden | Indoor Dining and Take-out Available
- Market At the Fareway (indoor market featuring multiple food vendors) | Indoor Dining and Take-out Available
- McNally’s Tavern | Indoor Dining and Take-out Available
- Mimi’s Market & Cafe | Indoor Dining, Outdoor Dining, and Take-out Available
- Night Kitchen Bakery & Cafe | Indoor Dining, Outdoor Dining, and Take-out Available
- Tavern on the Hill | Take-out and Delivery Available
- Weavers Way Coop | Take-out Available
Thank you to our sponsors!