The arts come alive at Chestnut Hill’s newest event series—Second Saturdays! In the safe and walkable environment of the Germantown Avenue commercial district, visitors can explore the works of dozens of visiting regional artists—from highly sought-after professionals to emerging talents—and view the newest exhibitions at Chestnut Hill’s own art galleries. With live music, shop and restaurant specials, and family-friendly activities, Second Saturdays give serious art enthusiasts and casual spectators alike plenty of reasons to spend a day in Chestnut Hill.
Dates: May 15, 2021 (rain date); June 12, 2021; July 10, 2021; August 14, 2021; September 11, 2021; October 9, 2021; November 13, 2021
Time: 2:00pm to 6:00pm
Location: 7600 to 8600 blocks of Germantown Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19118
Chestnut Hill Business Association Member Art Galleries, Framing, and Art Supplies:
- Borrelli’s Chestnut Hill Gallery & Frame Shop: “Painting the Town”, featuring Bob Arnosky’s Philadelphia paintings:
- Gallery On The Avenue
- 10% off in store
- Artist & Craftsman Supply
- The Little Gallery
- 10% off in store
- Wendy Concannon Photography Gallery
Gravers Lane Gallery: Featured exhibit of Johnathon Turner (Santa Cruz, CA) Glass Skateboard Decks. “Transformation of the Ordinary into the Extraordinary” Roll-up glass, kiln cast, cold-work hand grinding & polishing. 10% from the sale of Jonathon Turner’s glass skateboards will be donated to The Skateboard Academy’s Summer Camp Program
Guest Artists | “Honor”–Art On The Avenue
About the Curator: Talented Northwest Philadelphia artist Pauline McCall has curated “Honor” Art On The Avenue–a group of more than 25 artists–to showcase their work along Chestnut Hill’s Germantown Avenue corridor. Profiled in the Chestnut Hill Local (LINK) in March 2021, Houston McCall’s “multi-media representational works have been exhibited at many venues in the Delaware Valley, including the African American History Museum, Painted Bride Art Center, Ellen Powell Tiberino Museum, Stedman Gallery, Camden County Cultural Gallery, etc.” Her work has also been exhibited in the U.S. Embassy Gallery in India, and is currently on display in Wells Fargo’s New York corporate offices at 30 Hudson Yards. Second Saturdays would not be possible without Pauline’s passion for highlighting the arts in Chestnut Hill. Learn more and view her work at www.paulinehoustonmccall.squarespace.com, or in person at her pop-up gallery at 8705 Germantown Avenue (Top of the Hill Shopping Center).
Guest Artists exhibiting works for sale on the Avenue include:
- Mikel Elam (https://mikel-elam.format.com/)
- Robin Turnage (https://www.theclaystudio.org/artists/robin-williams-turnage)
- Bernard Collins Jr. (https://www.artjaz.com/artists/36.html)
- Lisette Morel (https://www.lisettemorel.com/)
- Sheena Garcia
- Danny Simmons (https://www.dannysimmonsarts.com/)
- Wanda Payne (http://www.bostonstreetartgallery.com/inner-titillations.html)
- Raphael Tiberino (https://tiberinomuseum.com/raphael-tiberino/)
- Cassandra Jefferson (https://www.instagram.com/cassandra_loves_creating_art/)
- Amir M. Lyles
- Denise Mitchell (https://www.artbydenisemitchell.com/)
- Serafina Harris (https://www.instagram.com/serifaeri/?hl=en)
- Shawnette Smalls
- Chamar Cooper (https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/charlene-cooper)
- Noah Smalls
- Luz Salsa
- Terrill Kevyn Johnson (https://www.artdelasoul.com/)
- Jeff Harris (http://www.bostonstreetartgallery.com/about-the-gallery.html)
- Miles Petrina
- Alexander McCall
- Lucas Hoover
- Check back as we continue to add more artists!
- [Coming June 2020] Ferule Designs Pop-up Art Installation (8532 Germantown Avenue) | Chestnut Hill artist Brooke Conroy’s work aims to enhance it’s viewers experience through creativity and quality craft. She creates all elements of her designs by hand, utilizing a wide range of mediums, and has previously created installations for Urban Outfitters and Terrain. The new nature-inspired Ferule installation at the corner of Germantown and Evergreen Avenues will open to the public for viewing and photography in June 2020.
Kids & Family Activities
- AR Workshop (8607 Germantown Avenue) is excited to offer a hands-on outdoor DIY Workshop experience, where you can create wood signs, canvas pillows, wall hangings, framed signs, wood boxes, lazy susans and more!
- Outdoor Jazz Returns! Saturday Night Jazz returns to Woodmere‘s grounds on Second Saturday–May 8th–for a preview of the upcoming season, which officially kicks off June 5, 2021. Protocols in compliance with current health and safety guidelines remain in place. Tickets are $25 for non-members and $15 for members. Visit https://woodmereartmuseum.org/musicatwoodmere and sign up for the newsletter and be the first to know when tickets go on sale!
- Live music on the Avenue | Enjoy live street performances from:
- Robb Fire Trio & Friends (featuring guitarist Robb McCall, bassist Bert Harris, and drummer Kimpedro Rodriguez) will perform at Top of the Hill Fountain Plaza at 8705 Germantown Avenue
- Singer/songwriter Elga Lyle will perform at 8527 Germantown Avenue
- Cellist Daniel DeJesus will perform at 8400 Germantown Avenue in front of the former Joseph A. Banks space
- At 5:15pm, all musicians will meet at Top of The Hill Fountain Plaza at 8705 Germantown Avenue for a Jam Session!
More CHBA Member Events & Specials:
- Chill On The Hill Frozen Yogurt: Grand reopening celebration from 1-3pm featuring music, face-painting, and balloon-art.
- Flaco’s Dance Factory
- Second Saturday Sizzles! With FREE beginner mini workshops in Latin dance and movement! Starting May 15, each second Saturday at 3 pm, Flaco’s Dance Factory will meet with you outdoors in front of St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, 22 E Chestnut Hill Ave. (weather permitting) to introduce you to a more fun lifestyle that includes dancing!! This is for YOU!!All are welcome. Social distancing will occur.Email questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
- TC Unlimited: Spring sale, 15% off purchase of spring new arrivals over $75
- Trumark Financial is offering give away bags with special credit union offers inside
- Barry Blum Antiques: sale on A pair of Heavy Iron Victorian Garden Benches for the season.
- AR Workshop: Make-N-Takes DIY in Shop/Summer Camp Discount Coupons/Clearance Corner
- Scene-N-Action Production Company (SNAPCo): hosting a live dance performances in front of studio with children
- Ten Thousand Villages : Parfaits available at Barry’s Buns
Food & Drink | Bring your appetite and sample Chestnut Hill’s delicious dining scene! Options include:
- All the Way Live | Indoor Dining, Outdoor Dining, and Take-out Available
- Bahia Bowls | Indoor Dining, Outdoor Dining, and Take-out Available
- Baker Street Bread | Indoor Dining, Outdoor Dining, and Take-out Available
- Breakfast Boutique | Indoor Dining, Outdoor Dining, and Take-out Available
- Bredenbeck’s Bakery & Ice Cream Parlor | Take-out
- Cake | Indoor Dining and Take-out Available
- Campbell’s Place | Indoor Dining, Outdoor Dining, and Take-out Available
- Chestnut Grill & Sidewalk Cafe | Indoor Dining, Outdoor Dining, and Take-out Available
- Chestnut Hill Brewing Company | Indoor Dining, Outdoor Dining, and Take-out Available
- Chill On The Hill Frozen Yogurt | Indoor Dining and Take-out Available
- Cin Cin | Indoor Dining and Take-out Available
- Cosimo’s Pizza Cafe | Indoor Dining and Take-out Available
- El Poquito | Indoor Dining, Outdoor Dining, and Take-out Available
- Iron Hill Brewery | Indoor Dining, Outdoor Dining, and Take-out Available
- King’s Garden | Indoor Dining and Take-out Available
- Market At the Fareway (indoor market featuring multiple food vendors) | Indoor Dining and Take-out Available
- McNally’s Tavern | Indoor Dining and Take-out Available
- Mimi’s Market & Cafe | Indoor Dining, Outdoor Dining, and Take-out Available
- Night Kitchen Bakery & Cafe | Indoor Dining, Outdoor Dining, and Take-out Available
- Tavern on the Hill | Take-out and Delivery Available
- Weavers Way Coop | Take-out Available
If you are a vendor looking to participate in Second Saturdays in the future, find the attached application here
Email any questions or concerns to Baristy@chestnuthillpa.com
Thank you to our sponsors!