Morris Arboretum’s Fall Line-up for Classes
Morris Arboretum has more than 30 classes planned for fall. Attendees can learn from experts and stay safe by participating online, plus two outdoor birding trips.
With many people spending more time at home, Horticulture and Landscape Design classes are a great way to learn new techniques to improve your garden. Here are a few classes offered this fall:
- Container Gardening; an excellent option for those who have limited yard space, want to spice up their deck, roof or patio, or who don’t want the hassle of a full-on garden.
- Shade Gardening with Jenny Rose Carey; shade is one of the most common garden situations homeowner’s have, and with the right plant knowledge, you can triumph over challenging areas and learn to embrace shade as an opportunity instead of an obstacle.
- How to Design and Plan your Home Landscape; through proper design and planning, you can create a livable landscape that looks beautiful all year.
For parents and caregivers looking for ways to engage kids at home, Morris Arboretum offers kids’ classes.
- Nature Art for Kids is a virtual exploration of art with organic materials that explores every-day nature and incorporates the findings into fun art projects using a variety of media
- Native Pennsylvania Animals (with live animals); you don’t have to go to another country or even a zoo to see exciting animals–we have them right here in our own backyards! In this program, you’ll meet animals from right here in our own state of Pennsylvania and learn why they are worthy of some hometown pride.
- Raptors (with live birds); Briar Bush Nature Center give us an up-close look at some beautiful and highly adapted birds. Whether you call them “raptors” or “birds of prey,” this group of birds is made for power and predation.
There are landscape professional classes too.
- Maintaining and Enhancing Tree Health: This two-session, on-line class is for tree care professionals and interested homeowners/property managers looking to expand their knowledge about the biological and structural components of trees and how these components interact with each other and their surroundings.
- Trees and the Law: Learn about the legal aspects of tree care in the urban and suburban environment including trespass and liability concerns as well the arborist’s and homeowner’s duty to take care of trees.
For bird lovers there are outdoor birding trips, one to John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge and the other to Norristown Farm Park.
All classes are listed at morrisarboretum.org/classes. Register online or call 215-247-5777, ext. 125.
Morris Arboretum is one of more than 30 Philadelphia gardens in America’s Garden Capital. This 92-acre horticultural display garden features a spectacular collection of mature trees in a beautiful and colorful landscape. The Morris Arboretum offers educational programs for many audiences ranging from youth to professional, and is a leader in botanical and horticultural research. The official arboretum of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, Morris Arboretum is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and accredited by the American Association of Museums. For more information, visit: www.morrisarb.org
Photo Caption: Container Gardening is just one of many Morris Arboretum classes offered this fall online. Containers are great for big impact in a limited space and garden accents. There are endless possibilities for container gardening from herbs and vegetables to succulents, to ornamental displays for all seasons.